Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Vegan go-to Pantry (fridge) items

Happy rainy Tuesday (at least here in NYC), I hope you are all having a beautiful, calm and veggie filled afternoon.  In speaking to a couple of friends, they asked "well what items do you keep on hand?"  That is a terrific question, when I first went vegan I thought well what do I eat besides vegetables and fruits?

I have put together a list of some of my favorite pantry and fridge staple items that will help you put a delicious and healthy meal together in a snap!  I am also including a couple of packaged foods that will help you make smart decisions on the nights when you had a long day at work and do not feel like cooking.  Having these on hand will help you not dial in for pizza or Chinese takeout.  This in turn will prevent you from feeling like crud after!

Nuts
I generally keep a few different kinds of raw nuts on hands.  RAW being the operative word.  Stay away from nuts that are salted, roasted, blanched etc.  The ones I keep on hand regularly are raw almonds, raw cashews and raw walnuts (hello omega 3's!)

Almonds are a great snack, I sometimes I add unsweetened cranberries or blueberries for a yummy snack.  Keep in mind not to go overboard on these, try to stay around a 1/4 cup or so.  Raw cashews are amazing for making sauces or dressings - and did I mention once you soak and blend these amazing little nuts you can make a scrumptious mac and "cheese".  YUM!  Walnuts are a fantastic source of omega-3's as I mentioned and also amp up a nice Sunday breakfast of banana pancakes, delicious! 

Whole Grains/Bread
Quinoa (this is the brand I use)
Quinoa is probably my favorite go-to grain.  You can purchase it just about anywhere and its delicious and satisfying.  I usually chop fresh garlic and onions and saute in a little bit of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (I could pretty much just eat that on a slice of whole grain bread and call it a day).  At this point you can add a little cracked black pepper, a pinch of sea salt and whatever other spices /herbs you like.  Follow the package instructions, I usually use low sodium organic vegetable stock in place of the water, or you can go half and half to stretch a buck.  Once this comes to a boil add the quinoa, turn off the heat, and five minutes later you have dinner!  Once this cools slightly I like adding a squeeze of fresh lemon, chopped fresh carrots, zucchini and fresh parsley or basil (whatever you have usually works). 

Trader Joe's Whole Wheat Cous Cous
Whole Wheat Cous Cous I love this!  Cold, Hot, with veggies, without, its so yummy!  You could not ask for an easier dinner.  7-8 minutes start to finish and it is complete, add veggies and /or a salad and lunch or dinner is complete.  I usually do the same as the quinoa (saute in onions & garlic first).  I usually use this as a cold sidedish.  I chop up carrots, baby spinach, broccoli, zucchini, pea sprouts, tomatoes and then add lemon juice and a touch of olive oil, with seasoning to taste.  I add 1/4 cup-1/2 cup atop a nice leafy green salad to give it some heft.  You can just eat it warm right after cooking, tastes terrific both ways.

Some other standby grains are millet, brown rice etc., have fun with your choices and bring cooking back into you and your families lives.  There is no reason for takeout on a regular basis.  Especially when you can eat amazing food, which you can prepare fast, and even if you live on a tight budget.

Beans
Mmmm... beans are so under rated!  Natures wonderful little jewels are are super cheap, super delicious, super filling, packed full of fiber and nutrients that we all need to be healthy individuals.  One cup of cooked beans provides between 9-13 grams of fiber (go beans!).  This can help lower blood cholesterol which is something we should all be attentive to.  They are also high in protein (see you don't need meat for protein), complex carbohydrates, folate and iron!   

I keep canned and dried beans on hand.  The dried beans are actually really simple and easy to cook but for those nights where I do not even feel like taking a pot out, I use the canned ones.  

Trader Joe's Organic Black Beans
Here are a list of some faves:  organic black beans (canned & dry), organic red kidney beans (canned & dry), cannellini beans (canned & dry), garbonzo beans aka chick peas (canned & dry), adzuki beans (dry) and pigeon peas (dry) to name a few.

Now let's just be real frank here, you may be thinking, if I am eating beans all the time won't I be stinking up the room?  Can I eat them before my date Friday night?  YES - you can!  Many beans contain oligosaccharides which is a type of sugar molecule also found in cabbage.  An anti-oligosaccharide enzyme is necessary to properly digest these sugar molecules.  This often leads to the childhood saying "beans beans the magical fruit the more you eat the more you...".  Regardless, strategies for eliminating this gassy side affect include soaking beans in water for several hours before mixing them with other ingredients (which removes the offending sugars) or adding vinegar.  Only add the vinegar after cooking (as it interferes with the softening of the beans).   

I often use beans to add atop salads, alongside fresh veggies, to make hummus etc, the recipe ideas are truly limitless and can be transformed as vividly as your imagination will allow.

Breads

Ezekiel Cinnamon Raisin Bread


Ezekiel Sesame Bread
As far as breads go my favorite brand is Ezekiel.  My favorite for Sunday mornings is the Cinnamon Raisin variety (with a smear of organic peanut butter, cinnamon, sliced bananas and a sprinkling of of flax seeds).  DELICIOUS!  There is also a sesame seed variety that I love from Ezekiel.  You can eat it plain or get some Earth Balance butter (I will come back to this) to make delicious toast (if you feel you cannot live without "butter").  Ezekiel also makes sprouted grain tortillas that are delicious as well.  You can use these to make wraps or Mexican inspired dishes.   

Lundberg Organic Rice Cakes
I have always been a fan of rice cakes, and one of my favorites are by the brand Lundberg.  They make many different varieties, my favorite is the Brown Rice organic cakes.  They make a sesame tamari, flax seed with tamari and the list goes on.  I love these with peanut or almond butter, flax seeds and sliced bananas.  You will adapt my recipes to what suits your palette, I can only provide you with what I know and love.  I hope you not only enjoy my ideas, but share with me some of yours.
Organic Raw Blue Agave Nectar


Condiments / Extras
Organic Blue Agave Nectar is definitely a pantry staple you will want to keep on hand.  Use this where you would use honey.  I eat steel cut oats for breakfast with a pinch of cinnamon, a sprinkle of flax seeds (our omega-3 buddy) and a little agave nectar for sweetness (instead of honey or brown sugar).  If you are baking vegan recipes this sometimes replaces the sugar as well.  Since it dissolves faster than honey it is a great alternative if you need sweetener for iced tea in the summer.  Delicious.  If you want to read more about where agave is derived from, check it out here.


Nutritional Yeast
Arrowhead Mills Organic Popcorn

A fast growing favorite of mine is Red Star brand Nutritional Yeast.  This is widely used to replace cheese in recipes such as mac and "cheese" or salad dressings and sauces that you want a more creamy taste in.  The best way (I think) to use nutritional yeast is to sprinkle this on freshly popped popcorn.  I use Arrowhead mills brand but feel free to choose any organic local brand you can find.  I cook the kernels in 2 tbsp of oil on the stove, once popped I sprinkle with a few tablespoons (depending on how much I make) of nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and sprinkle with fresh (or dried) chopped basil.  I guarantee you will love this, it is my all time favorite snack!


 Whole grain mustard is also a standby in my pantry and fridge.  I use this to put over grilled veggies or to make dressings.  My favorite homemade dressing includes cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and whole grain mustard.  I also add a pinch of cayenne, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and whatever dried herbs I feel like adding that day (rosemary, thyme etc).

Peanut/Almond Butter - yay for healthy yummy fats!  I have a few different brands that I rotate through as I like so many and they are so delicious.  Disclaimer warning:  if you buy the following you may have a hard time not eating the entire jar in one sitting.  Don't say I never warned you!

Justin's Chocolate Almond Butter




I love Justin's brand peanut and almond butters.  There are so many different varieties you will never get bored.  All organic.  Most all are vegan.  All delicious and addictive.  There is maple almond butter, peanut butter, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate almond butter.  My favorites are obviously the chocolate almond butter (which is my replacement for my beloved Nutella).  This stuff is a little pricey ($7-9 a jar) but if you really like it you can also order in bulk off of amazon!  It may not be something you eat everyday (or maybe it is) but its a decadent option to have in the pantry.  I figure, its better than diving for a piece of chocolate cake!

Smucker's Organic Peanut Butter

Smucker's Organic Peanut butter is a great option and most regular grocery stores carry this brand.  Just make sure whatever brand peanut butter you choose, that you buy one that is organic, and only has 1-2 ingredients.  Smucker's has one ingredient, peanuts.  Some contain sea salt as well which is fine, just shy away from brands that have preservatives and additional (unneeded) ingredients.  I always keep the 5 ingredient rule in mind when buying any packaged foods.  Choose ingredients you can pronounce and ones you want to consume.  I try shy away in general from preservatives.  If the food you are looking to purchase says "yellow number 7", think to yourself, what is yellow number 7?  Put it down, and step away from the package!

Frozen Foods
Generally I keep a few frozen staples on hand to put a meal together when time is limited.  I always keep organic corn, shelled edamame, spinach and pea pods in my freezer.  These are a fast and delicious addition to veggie stir frys, soups, salads, whole grains or whatever else you would like.  Try to stick with organic when you can.  If you cannot find organic, do not worry just do the best you can with what you have.  That is what I always try to do. 


Gluten Free Veggie Burgers

Veggie burgers are a good option from time to time (I just wouldn't use these as replacement for fresh vegetables on a regular occasion).  Dr. Praegers makes a delicious California Veggie Burger that tastes great on a slice of Ezekiel bread, sliced over a salad or just on its own with a little spicy mustard.  feel free to be more creative and suit them to fit your palette by adding lettuce, tomato and avocado.  Yummy! 

Ingredients:  Carrots, Onions, String Beans, Oat Bran, Soybeans, Zucchini, Peas, Broccoli, Corn, Soy Flakes, Spinach, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Red Peppers, Arrowroot, Cornstarch, Garlic, Cornmeal, Salt, Parsley and Black Pepper.

Granted, this does not fall within my 5 ingredient rule, however, none of these ingredients are ones I would avoid, so go for it!  You do not have to count calories living this lifestyle but for those calorie counting junkies out there, these are only 110 calories and 5 grams of fat.  Not too bad for a frozen dinner if you ask me!


Vinegar
I tend to keep a few different kind of vinegars in the pantry to make dressings, add to veggies for a little punch or whatever you decide.  I generally keep red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar (I am Italian after all!) and apple cider vinegar.  I use the balsamic the most as I love the strong flavor on veggies.  Decide for yourself what tastes best to you and go from there. 

Non Dairy Milk
Blue Diamond brand Almond Milk
Almond Milk, Soy Milk, Hemp Milk and Rice milk are all feasible options.  I generally use almond milk to put on cereal, and any of these can be mixed to make veggie smoothies (I prefer the rice milk).  These are often used in baking or a nice cold glass can accompany a vegan brownie or cookie on those days when you really need some chocolate (what girl doesn't)!  There is original, vanilla and chocolate.  I stick to the original as it has the least amount of ingredients added.  The chocolate can be used to make a dessert smoothie with some fruit.  Frozen strawberries and chocolate almond milk = yummy!


Well, there you have it.  That is a small list of items I generally like to keep on hand for everyday meals.  Keep in mind these are additions to a major part of your diet which should be our best friends by now, vegetables (preferably raw when possible).  1/2 of my plate is generally filled with fresh organic green veggies, 1/4 contains a whole grain of some sort and generally 1/4 protein (soy, seitan or beans).  I tend to limit soy to a few times a month (if that) and try to stick to whole foods.  In regards to vegetables, if you must cook them, try lightly steaming them in a steaming rack over boiling water (for 2-3 minutes).  Directly boiling vegetables in water, releases most if not all the nutrients in the water, instead of in you!

Continue to put your best efforts forth, we all slip up but if you can eat 90% healthy, 90% of the time, reward yourself.  Get a facial.  Buy that new jacket you wanted.  Take an extra yoga class.  All in all, make time for you.  Love you.  

I ask that you post questions or comments on my blog and subscribe by email on the right side of the post.  I love answering questions and if there is a specific topic you would like me to write about, please let me know.

Until next time everyone, love your veggies and they will love your body back!

No comments:

Post a Comment