Monday, October 10, 2011

R(R)&R Weekend (Rejuvenating, Running & Reading)

Long time, no blog.  Don't worry though, im back! 

Green Juice <3

My body has been yelling at me lately for not drinking as much green juice as I should so that is how I started out my Friday morning.  Also, you can note my current obsession (aka Michael Kors watches and jewelry).

My green juice of choice that day:
- Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, a whole pear, ginger, carrots, celery and cucumber.  Delicious! 

I have been falling into a terrible pattern of drinking coffee lately instead of my greens.  Bad bunny.  I noticed a few people looking at my "green concoction" with a grossed out look while traveling on the Staten Island ferry.  I actually struck up a conversation with a girl reading "The China Study" (one of my favorites) and told her about the juice I was drinking.  She said that she has been wanting to change her diet for a long time and has read about so many different "no carb, low carb, high protein, south beach, cabbage soup", you name it, she tried it.  

I explained to my new found lady that she need not "diet" to live healthfully.  Once I explained the types of vegetables, grains, and whole natural foods I ate, I explained that restrictions become almost obsolete.  I asked her when the last time she heard of someone overdosing on a head of broccoli?  Diet's give the impression that it is temporary, I tried to discuss with her that making a life change towards healthier everyday choices, she was bound to see differences in her weight, mood, attitude, skin and internal health.  I gave her my email before parting and have already put her onto a few of my favorites such as Kris Carr, Gabrielle Bernstein, Michael Pollan and more.  I tried to give her healthy substitutions to some of her everyday favorites and regular comfort foods.  As a cook in previous years I let her know of some fantastic cookbooks, food blogs as well as my personal recipes that she has already enjoyed over the weekend.  

The number one aspect I think that people often forget about is how much what we eat can truly affect every aspect of our life and body.  Think about it, most of us eat 3 times a day 365 days a year (some of us eat more than 3x a day).  Thats at least 1,095 times a YEAR that you can influence how you feel.   Still not sold?  Think about this, the average person that lives to be 70 years old spends a minimum of 6 years and 10 months EATING!  How can we not correlate the affects of what we are putting into our body to how we look and feel? 

I spent my Sunday at one of my favorite places, the bookstore.  Barnes & Noble to be exact.  After grabbing my giant sized Green Tea, I went to my regular vegan cookbooks section where I found new inspiration for what to use my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) veggies for!  Definitely going to make some squash soup this week with homemade Italian croutons!  Yes, I can hear you saying "YUM" right now, don't worry, I am too! 

I walked by a few aisles and who did I find by one of my fave ladies, Ms. Gabby Bernstein.  Her new book, "Spirit Junkie" is out now and I picked up a copy which I will start after my current read which is "The Beauty Detox Solution" by Kimberly Snyder. 

I have a 5K run coming up on the 15th of October, the Terry Fox Run for Cancer Research.  It is not too late to sign up, so if you live in the NY area or are close to Central Park, you should definitely sign up now.  What an amazing cause!  I have really been trying to hit the gym hard lately and just now starting to get back into my regular running routine.  This could be a sad showing on Saturday on my part, however a group of co-workers and I will make light of our running setbacks and realize that this cause is truly special.  

All in all I had an amazing weekend filled with many things that I adore.  New recipes and inspiration to come.

Don't forget to eat your veggies.

Lots of love,
e

No comments:

Post a Comment